HomeAboutSpongebobAutism Mom'sContact

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sometimes I Forget...

My oldest son is so high functioning on the autism spectrum that I actually sometimes forget he has Asperger's Syndrome.  I am quickly reminded of this if I break a routine or try something different during the week that we don't normally try.  Routines are the biggest tell-tale sign that my son has Asperger's.

I am also reminded with a simple response.  This afternoon, after picking the older boys up from school, I head to the bank machine instead of going straight home (which I will probably pay dearly for later...but anyhoo).  After taking the cash out of the ATM, I asked the boys would they like a milkshake which they both bobbed their heads up and down for yes.  As we were sitting in the drive-thru line at McDonald's the lady at the window snapped at me and snatched my debit card.  I looked over at my Aspie and said, "She needs an attitude adjustment".  He looked over at me and replied, "She sure does".  He was quiet for a minute while we waited for our food and for one moment in time I smiled and thought..."this is so nice and everything seems as it should."  For once I was actually having a conversation with my son about someone else's social graces and he was commenting on the lack there of.  This is progress, I thought.



He then turned his face up at mine and smiled and said "She needs a dose of John Cena.  John Cena in 2003 challenged Brock Lesnar to a WWE match that he called "Attitude Adjustment" and at the end of this match he would use the term "FU" and people thought it was inappropriate.  So after years of giving people "attitude adjustments" there was so much scandal about the "FU" at the end that he finally stopped using the term at all.  Now he is just famous for slogans like "U Can't See Me" and "WordLife", but "attitude adjustment" was actually the first slogan that John Cena was ever associated with." 

This entire monologue went down with me passing a drink across the backseat to his brother and distributing food.  The lady at the drive through was oblivious to his speech and as far as I know had no idea who John Cena was.  I was, more than anything else, just trying to figure how we got on a four-hour dissertation on John Cena when I was making a mere comment on the drive-thru ladies lack of customer service skills. 

As I was pulling the car away from the window, he cranked up for round two.  "Mom, did you know that John Cena was in Hannah Montana and Fred: The Movie?"  No, no son, I didn't know that.  We drove home and for the next 15 minutes we were all filled in on John Cena's entire wrestling career, guest appearances, and special wrestling techniques. 

Sometimes I forget...but I am quickly reminded.

4 comments:

  1. But you were still having a conversation, and that's the key here. Even NT kids go off on someone like that (not as commonly as Aspie kids). He's sharing his interest with you and bringing you into his world. Thanks for sharing the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't even flinch anymore lol. This happens all the time...someone can mention one tiny detail about something and he will go into a 6 hour monologue about a certain detail of our conversation...we just nod and interject an occasional "uh-huh" every few seconds. I love the fact that he is so knowledgable on certain topics...just sometimes, like at the drive thru or when I'm on the phone with someone, I am not so appreciative lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHA! My cousin's son is a lot like that, very focussed on a single aspect of the conversation. A little exhausting, no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog - love it! I'd never heard of John Cena, so thanks for the education!

    ReplyDelete

 
Designs by Dana
© 2011 Designs by Dana
© Design Kit by Blackleaf Studios